Sunday, August 14, 2022

2022 Triathlon Nationals Race Report

The night before the big day, I dreamt that I left my water bottles in the fridge (which I did at a previous race this year) and forgot to set up my transition area before the race began; apparently I was more nervous than I realized! But thankfully the morning went much smoother than my dream, beginning with a beautiful sunrise over Lake Michigan.

After I set my things up in transition, I had a full two hours to kill before my swim wave at 9:11am. It was a very late start, especially with an expected high of 90 degrees for the day! I wasn't looking forward to running in the heat. But coming from the gray skies of Seattle, running in the heat might be preferable to biking in the rain....

My family/support crew showed up at 8:30am to cheer me on, before I donned my wetsuit (to the sound of "Get It On" blaring on the speakers) and got in line for the swim start. After almost a year of training, it was finally time for the race to begin!

I jumped enthusiastically into the 64 degree water for a brief swim warm-up; with a wetsuit, the water wasn't too cold, but it certainly woke me up! Then all the 40-44 year old female athletes lined up along the dock, hanging on until the starter sounded the horn. We all took off, kicking and pushing our way through the throng. I often have a moment of panic at this point during the swim, but I was mentally prepared for it this time (thanks for the short drafting practice, Lisa!), and felt strong throughout the swim, finishing at 30:48, almost reaching my goal of 30 minutes.

I had a smooth transition to the bike, and took off, eager to ride the 25 mile course with no traffic! Just like God parted the waters for the Israelites, USAT parted the road for the racers ;) The best part was riding over the Hoan Bridge on I-794, looking out at Lake Michigan, sparkling in the sun, then cresting over the bridge and going all out in my highest gear on the way down. I finished the bike in 1:16:57, at 19.38mph, crushing my goal of going at least 18mph. Unlike the hilly terrain in the Seattle area, this course was mostly flat and fast.

I had another smooth transition from the bike to the run, but immediately felt the heat draining my energy as I began to run. I wasn't entirely sure I could make it without stopping to walk. When I came to the first aid station, with volunteers handing out gatorade and water and ice, I gladly grabbed some ice and dumped it down the front and back of my tri suit. Instant relief! It kept me going, anyway, and I ran from aid station to aid station, shade to shade, until I saw my family cheering me on at about mile 3, right when I needed it most. My crazy, super-supportive brother Tom joined me for about a half mile, providing a good distraction from the heat, and some much-needed encouragement at just the right time. Before I knew it, I was at mile 5, with only 1.2 miles left to go! I felt blisters forming on my feet, but knew I was going to make it.

As I neared the finish line, I was overcome by the joy of overcoming this challenge, of finishing this race. I was not only running for myself, as a way to fight against the struggles I've faced to get here, but also for the many people I know who are fighting their own battles--whether it's an eating disorder, or anxiety, or autism, or cancer, or depression, or racism, or war, or losing a loved one, and more. But we can have hope because "in all these things we are more than conquerors through Christ who loves us" (Romans 8:37). God has turned each and every struggle of mine into something good, which gives me hope for my future struggles, whatever they might be.

And so I ran to the finish line with a huge smile on my face, finishing at 2:45:10, just missing my goal of 2:45:00. But what matters more is that I did my best and had a blast doing it!

To finish this triathlon journey, here is a short slideshow with just a few pictures and videos of the race.

Enjoy your journey, and Godspeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment